- Organic Rib of beef on the bone Minimum 1.75 kg (incl rib)
- English Mustard 4 heaped tbsp
- Butter 40g (1½ oz)
- Preheat oven to 220c / 425f / Gas mark 7.
- Smear the beef with the English mustard and place in the roasting tin. Place the butter in 3 or 4 pieces on the beef and place in the preheated oven.
- Cook the meat for 44 minutes per kilo (20 minutes per pound). Cook for a further 15 minutes if your family / guest like their meat well done.
- The next instruction is imperative for the meat to taste its best. Take the meat out of the oven and place on a warmed carving dish. Cover the meat with foil and leave to ‘rest’ whilst you cook your vegetables, make the gravy and warm the plates (at least 15 minutes).
If you place the meat on its side in the roasting tin it will cook faster than the times above. If you have space, cook the joint on its bottom – with the bones sticking up. Remember that since the meat is on the bone it will take longer than usual. Test the meat with a skewer as it is resting before you cook your vegetables as you may feel it needs longer than the recipe states.
This recipe was tested in a conventional fan oven.
For other joints of beef cook the meat for 35 minutes per kilo (16 minutes per pound) for a rare roast.